Mary Meeker is a former Morgan Stanley analyst turned venture capitalist, currently as a partner at Silicon Valley firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
In 1998, her work in the Internet sector earned her the nickname “Queen of the Net” from Barron’s Magazine. Each year, she publishes and presents a report on emerging Internet trends. Yesterday, she presented the 2014 version at the Code Conference in California.
The full report is 164 pages of insights, data and analysis of the top #InternetTrends. We found a few particularly interesting, especially in the context of what SocialSign.in is doing to create on-site marketing channels with WiFi. The most compelling point?
Data consumption on mobile devices is growing at an 81% rate.
Here are 7 slides from her presentation that we had to share.
1) 25% of all Internet traffic, globally, comes from mobile.
2) Smartphones get more eyeballs, daily, than any other screen.
3) Because of this, the mobile device market is growing at a historically unprecedented rate.
4) As impressive as this is, ONLY 30% of global mobile users today are on a smartphone.
5) For the 70% still catching up to modern mobile tech, these devices are becoming more affordable and available than ever before.
6) Despite these facts, Mobile Advertising is still severely underused.
7) Even among Internet advertising, Mobile represents a fraction of the budget spent on traditional online marketing.
So what does all of this mean? We wrote about the future of mobile data consumption earlier this year, with a Cisco report as the foundation for our post. It comes down to a very basic idea.
As more and more people use smart phones to consume data online, more and more people will need WiFi to stay connected.
From a marketing and advertising perspective, your message is only as strong as the context in which people see it…if people see it at all. Mary Meeker believes that mobile advertising is a HUGE opportunity, and we agree with her.
SocialSign.in encourages physical businesses and venue owners to offer free WiFi to their customers by helping them turn their WiFi network into a marketing channel, reaching their customers at the most contextually relevant time. Our software solution is helping business owners learn more about their customers while reaching them in a new, unsaturated, cost-effective medium. Mary’s #codecon presentation only reinforces the massive value that SocialSign.in can offer.
Thanks for reading our blog. Subscribe to stay updated on all the exciting developments at SocialSign.in, and comment if you have any questions. Are you a restaurant or business owner that wants to learn more about your customers? Contact us today to discover how we can help.